While it’s true that stretching for weight training exercise won’t strengthen your heart or flatten your stomach. It sure can help you reach those goals more efficiently. Aerobic exercise and strength training need muscles that are in balance and work smoothly.
That’s where stretching comes in — as a complement to the activity you choose. It’s so important the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) includes flexibility training in its recommendations for staying fit.
Don’t underestimate the power of stretching
Exercise, and other factors, can cause your muscles to shorten. By regularly stretching the muscles, you counteract that shortening. Stretching promotes flexibility, allowing you to move your muscles and joints through their full range of motion.
Muscles that are warmed up before being put under a sudden stress are more likely to be able to handle the stress. Stretching before exercise help to decrease injury to your muscles, ligaments and tendons.
16 Weight Training Stretching Exercise
the sky reach back stretch this is a simple yet effective upper back stretch. You need to maintain balance and ensure you get the best stretch you can If you don’t you will see limited benefit.
Sky Reach Stretch Exercise:
Sky Reach Muscles Worked : loosen the shoulders and upper back
How to do the Sky Reach Exercise:
1. Stand up right with your hands by your side face your palms in towards your body and
keeping your arms straightbring them out to the side and then up above your head and put your palms together
2. Stretch your arms as high as you can until you feel the stretch in your middle and upper back
3. Hold the stretch for five seconds and then lower your arms
4. Repeat 10 times
This will help to cure your back pain sciatica and pisiforms syndrome.
The Toe Touch Stretch
The toe touch stretch this movement enables you to use your body weight to stretch your lower and upper back in a controlled way. it also gives you a great stretch down your hamstrings.
How to do the Toe Touch Stretch Exercise:
1. Stand up right where your feet together
2. Reach your arms up above your head and lock your hands
3. Stretch upwards as high as you can towards the ceiling
4. Then slowly bring your arms down in front of you.
5. Bend at the hips continue down keeping your legs straight to fully stretch your hamstrings without pushing yourself too much. Don’t go any further than is comfortable hold the stretch for 8 seconds
6. Go back to the top and relax
7. Repeat 5 times
Cross Thigh Hug Stretch Exercise
Cross Thigh Hug or Cross-Legged Knee Raise Muscles Worked: This exercise is designed to release tension in the thigh. The Thigh Hug or Single Knee Raise is a great sciatica stretch. The angle of your knee will release tension in the sciatica nerve and gluteal area, giving your an immediate pain relief.
How to do the Cross Thigh Hug Stretch:
1. Sit on the and the floor with your legs out straight
2. Raised your left or right knee towards your chest
3. Once there cross your leg and continue to pull your knees with both hands towards your chest
4. Hold for 3 seconds and then relax (if done correctly, you should feel the stretch in your thigh)
5. Repeat this exercise 5 times
6. Switch to the other leg and repeat again
Single Knee Leg Stretch Exercise or Thigh Hug
Single Knee Leg Stretch Exercise Muscles Worked: This is a great stretch to target the lower back and glutes muscle. If done correctly, it should gradually release tension across the entire area.
How to do the Thigh Hug or Single Knee Leg Stretch Exercise:
1. Lay on the floor with your back with your legs straight.
2. Slowly bring your right knee towards your chest and so you feel the stretch in your lower back.
3. Hold this position for 7 seconds,
4. Then lower your leg back to the floor
5. Repeat this 5 times for each leg
The Resistant Leg or Supine Hamstring Stretch Exercise
The Resistant Leg Muscles Worked: The supine hamstring stretch this is a great stretch exercise if you suffer from sciatica. It enables you to release tension in your lower back, glutes, and the hamstring that surround the nerve. This can deliver an immediate relief over a short period.
How to do the Resistant Leg Stretch Exercise:
1. Lay down on your back, use a yoga mat or a carpet for comfort
2. Keeping your left leg on the floor, lift your right leg off the ground until you feel a stretch in your glutes and hamstring area. Your right leg should remain straight with heels pushed downwards
3. Pulled upwards when your leg is at the top use both hands to hold the underneath of your leg to help maintain and gently push the stretch. Don’t hold the weight of your leg in your hands.
4. Hold the stretch for 5 seconds
5. Lower your right leg back down
6. Repeat 5 times on each leg