This article will cover how to perform various exercises with Smith machine as well as some benefits that these exercise can provide you.
The Smith Machine is popular for good reason. It provides stability and safety when you are pressing outwards with your hands, which can be helpful if you are new to the movement or have mobility issues. It doesn’t require any balance on your part.
It’s easy to load the weight on it and it has adjustable pins for progressive resistance. It is also safer than free weights because you don’t need to balance them. It also reduces pressure on the joints because it doesn’t require balancing.
The smith machine home gym comes with many benefits that make it worth investing in:
- at least 15 exercise you can do with smith machine
- easy to load weight on the machine
- it has adjustable pins that allow for progressive resistance
- safer than free weights because it doesn’t require balancing
- easier on joints because it reduces pressure
- Smith machine home gym will keep up a consistent exercise routine during the pandemic
Best exercises with Smith machine
Leg Press with Smith Machine
Difficulty level: moderate
Leg Press is an exercise that targets and strengthen the muscles of your lower body, mainly the quadriceps and hamstrings. It’s also a great exercise if you want to tone your leg muscles.
The leg press with smith machine is considered a compound movement because it works more than one joint.
How to do Leg Press with Smith Machine:
- Start by placing the barbell on the rack at about mid-thigh height.
- Step under the barbell and lay on your back.
- Make sure that your feet are planted firmly on the barbell and that your feet is shoulder width apart from each other.
- Slowly bend at the knees until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings and then press back up to start position.
- Repeat for desired reps or time interval (usually 8-12 reps).
Seated Shoulder press with smith machine
The shoulder press with smith machine is a great exercise for the shoulders. It targets the front, middle, rear deltoids, triceps, and chest muscles.
The Smith Machine shoulder press is a great tool for incline shoulder press. It offers the stability and safety of a fixed bar, while also allowing you to press outwards with your hands, which can be helpful if you are new to the movement or have mobility issues.
How to do shoulder press with smith machine:
- To do this exercise, you will need to set up a Smith machine in front of you with the barbell on it.
- You will then sit behind the barbbell. Grab the barbell shoulder-width apart.
- Lift the bar of support.
- Press the bar upwards and slowly lower back down and repeat.
Lunges in Smith Machine
Difficulty level: moderate
Muscles worked: quads, glutes, hamstrings and calves
Lunges can be performed on a Smith Machine or by using an actual barbell. One of the most effective ways to do lunges is with a smith machine. It works the entire lower body and greatly improve your core strength and balance.
The smith machine is great for lunges because it makes it easier to maintain proper form and balance. It helps you go deeper into the lunge, which means that you can get a better workout.
Not to mention that you don’t have to worry about dropping the weight while performing the exercise. The smith machine will help keep your back straight and not hunch over as you lunge down on each side of your body.
Incline Press on a Smith Machine
The incline press is a great exercise for targeting the muscles of your upper chest, as well as your shoulders. The Smith Machine is a great tool for this exercise because it allows you to do the incline press without worrying about balancing on the bench.
An incline press is done with a barbell set at an angle of approximately 45 degrees to the floor. You can go as heavy or as light as you want, but be careful not to go too heavy and risk injury.
The Smith Machine is a great functional lower body workout for both beginners and advanced athletes. It’s also an excellent way to increase your overall strength and flexibility.